View Single Post
Old 12 August 2019, 01:50 AM   #41
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
He wasn’t a fan of cartier... cartier is predominantly a women’s brand 70/30 roughly....I think he equated the brand to your typical non rolex/patek brands.
I don't view Cartier as a top-tier horological brand. But that's not the point. Cartier is about first and foremost about design and aesthetics, not movements or horology. And on that score, the new Santos is a solid choice.

I bought the Tank Francaise in large size when it came out 20 years ago. That was one of my all-time favorite watches - good looking, comfortable, versatile. But by today's standards, it's way too small for men. Haven't worn it in years.

The new Santos is a great looking watch, a truly excellent re-design of an iconic design, and at the price it's a reasonable value. It's a major standout and exception in the current Cartier lineup.

The new Santos is not a competitor to the Patek 5711 in any way - even at list price it's nearly a 5x price difference, and at market price it's more like 10x. They're not in the same league, not even close.

And that's OK.

You don't buy the Santos because it's a fine timepiece. You buy it because it's a decent timepiece (i.e. not a shitter by any means) that more importantly has an extremely well executed design and lots of aesthetic appeal.

I'll likely get the new Santos with Blue Dial one day soon. I'll buy it not as a collector piece, but as a "wear the hell out of it and enjoy it" piece. It will fit just fine alongside my two Pateks.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote