View Single Post
Old 11 October 2018, 03:25 PM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

:dummy::thumbsdow
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Don't believe the hype ... RSCs will indeed service most vintage pieces and will not destroy them, as long as you give very detailed instructions, such as only service the movement, do not polish the case or replace the dial/hands, etc .... Over the decades I've gone the RSC route with no problems on some very nice vintage Rolexes.

That said, nowadays I'd only send to a vintage expert, such Bob Ridley and LAWW, along with Rik and some others that have been recommended on this forum.
In my experience it depends which RSC you go to. Some have been sympathetic to requests, and others have insisted on doing all work they consider necessary, otherwise they refuse to do the service. Some have accepted vintage pieces, and others haven't. Mileage definitely varies.

The RSC in Tokyo refused to do a movement service on my all-original 1964 gilt 5513 unless I let them change the dial and hands for nice new Luminova ones. They also wouldn't change the battery in my recently serviced Oysterquartz unless I paid 600 bucks for another full service. :-(
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote