Thread: Incoming Nomos!
View Single Post
Old 14 March 2017, 08:48 AM   #1
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Incoming Nomos!

I had been looking at Nomos since I first got into this hobby and was keen to scratch that itch for some time. I liked the fact they had developed their own in-house movements and I was a fan of their restrained, minimalist designs and quirky, irreverent marketing. They've developed quite a following amongst the WIS community, including TRF as evidenced by quite a few threads.

I had the opportunity to trade a piece that wasn't getting much wrist time and thankfully the Nomos AD was accommodating.

I had decided on the Metro, but wasn't sure which model. In the end, I chose the neomatik Nachtblau, with the automatic movement and midnight blue dial.

The automatic movement, dark dial and time only complication appealed to me.

I'm used to the heft and thickness of Rolex sports watches, so the thin, light, 35mm case took some getting used to. Thankfully my wrist is less than 7 inches, so the case doesn't feel too small. The Metro feels so dainty and elegant and is probably suitable as both a casual and dress watch. It serves as a nice counterpoint to my SubCs.

Unlike the vibrant blue shown in the press photos, the midnight blue dial is a very dark greyish blue. The hour and minute markers and seconds hand offer a nice contrast of colours to the dark dial.

Although the dial is quite dark, the rhodium plated hands have a mirror-like reflective quality which makes them legible in all but low light conditions.

The movement is so thin and is beautifully displayed through the sapphire caseback.

I also love the domed crystal, but wish it had an AR coating because it is so reflective which makes it difficult to read the time occasionally.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Nomos and can see why TRFers are also interested in this German brand which has achieved so much in its relatively short history. I look forward to seeing what they release at this year's Baselworld.

IMG_7015.jpg