View Single Post
Old 20 August 2019, 12:46 AM   #110
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I think there are 2 segments of the watch market:

1) Those that see watches as a luxury item and can appreciate the finer things.
i) Category I - Those that want to show off
ii) Category II - Those that want the right kind of appreciation (from others and financially)

2) WIS

The Nautilus appeals to all the above due to iconic design, wearability, relative scarcity. The dress watches especially the grand complications appeal to the latter category. There is also the matter of price practicality - what is the best "value" under $100k? I think we can all agree that there are plenty of options under $10k and under $20k especially for steel sports watches and there are plenty of complicated dress watches over $20k. Breguet is an example of amazing watchmaking at a fraction of a Patek.

I once was soaked in the rain wearing my 3970J and all I could worry about was whether it was ruined or would fog up. The same thing happened with a 3700 and it DID fog up but a bag of rice and a quick trip to a watchmaker saved the day. Perhaps many of you rock a 5131P/J/R daily, I only wore my 3970 and now 5170P to work. I would take it off especially during hotter days since no one wants a greasy leather strap and god forbid you get soaked in the rain.

I have tried many watches, Journes, Pateks, APs, Grand Seikos, Rolexes, but I still come back to the Nautilus as the perfect watch for my lifestyle (In 30s, white collar, comfortable but cannot consider myself wealthy). I was drawn to it the moment I saw it but ended up going with a basic 16610 sub.

For those that worry about bubbles, I think a classic 5711 blue and for me a 3712 in the long-term are solid pieces. Yes so what if it drops another $20k? I didn't sell at $70k and I don't regret it :)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote