View Single Post
Old 1 December 2014, 11:02 AM   #166
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel33 View Post
Every one of us perfectly knows Steve Mc Queen never wore this watch...
It was a complete fabrication by dealers who wanted this watch to be the counterpart, the mirror image of the PN Daytona so this very underrated model that was selling poorly, unlike vintage subs, (at that time ) would raise in value.

So, yes, this was a misrepresentation of the product initially.
I much prefer the "Freccione" nickname (contraction of arrow and orange in italian), which is neutral.

I remember a few years back, I step into a well established professional vintage Rolex dealer shop in Paris. i ask to take a look a the "freccione" and the sales guy tells me :"Oh, the Steve Mc Queen Explorer, very rare watch, it was one of its favorite watch, hence the name".

I told him this was an urban legend and he answered, with a huge smile on his face: "Do you wanna bet?"

I answered by putting my 1675 on the table while telling him that if he could find a single picture of Steve Mc Queen wearing this watch, my Gmt would be his. Otherwise, I would walk away with the 1655....

No need to say that from this point, it was not a question to bet anymore...

So, yes, some people took advantage of newbies customers with this nickname, as it was intended from the beginning, unlike the PN Dayto, so i'm kind of feeling uncomfortable with it.
well said