View Single Post
Old 11 January 2020, 04:10 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
TLDR: Anyone ever change the gold spring bars on a DD as a precautionary move?

Read:

I have a 1989-1991(est) DD and will begin wearing it more often. But there's still SS springs inside the bars and I'm unsure if they're seized or even robust anymore.

I've had SS Rolexeses where the bars lose spring integrity over time with band swaps, salt water swimming etc but losing or dropping a DD would be a disaster. So, I'm trying to avoid one.

Anyone ever change them? How long do they last? Who kept the gold bars and what was the cost?

Thanks in advance

Hi Chewy, hope all is well

People rarely come in for new spring bars, let alone 18k gold ones.
Yes they're like any other spring bar and can fail, I always charge for them when I make a full service price estimate but I know that not every watchmaker does this. Over here they're €80 for the two including tax.

How long they last depends on several factors, most of which you already stated, keeping the watch clean is also quite important because often the dirt will mess with the spring bar over the years. Personally I would change them every service if it was my own watch.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote