Thread: PAM 533 v 233
View Single Post
Old 9 March 2017, 12:46 PM   #20
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkunkle View Post
I suppose I am newly biased on this decision...

There's no doubt about it, the 233 is a fabulous piece and if Mrs Van D had bought me a five-slot box, one would be reserved for the 233.

It's interesting reading people's views though and it never ceases to amaze me how we view thing's differently. Let's take Maltie's opinions (I'm not picking on you my friend. It's just that you've set your views out in a list, which makes it easier for me to respond ):

- nicer dial - I prefer the 533. I like that it has the 9.
- green lumen - my 359 and 689 are both ecru but the lume shows green in the dark. As Cru will testify, I prefer ecru anyway.
- slightly thinner - this could've been a deal breaker for me until I picked up my D-Blue. Nowadays, it's not an issue.
- 8 days manual, nicer view on the movement and nothing beats winding this 8 days - I would indeed like the same view on the movement, so I'm with you on that one. Whilst I enjoy setting my watches, I can't imagine winding the 233 is any different from the 533. However, if there is a difference please let me know (OMG, I'm geeking out here! )
- domed crystal - with you on this one. I like the domed crystal because it makes the watch wear smaller.
- nicer hands - I prefer the hands of the 533 because to me they're more balanced. The 233 has silver (I think) time hands but the GMT hand is black. That looks weird to me however, the hands of the 533 are all the same colour which is balanced. I like the stealth look of them being all blacked out too, which is a nice contrast to the gold hands on my 689.

I do agree that the 233 is a classic, though. I liken it to Levi 501s; never in fashion, never out of fashion. It always has been and always will be. It's a constant, it's timeless and it just 'is'. I just prefer the 533, that's all.

Thank you for your views, guys Just be prepared for some more requests for opinions over the coming months as I Ruud Van Dither until I have to pull the trigger in four and a half months from now

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote