View Single Post
Old 16 January 2018, 01:23 AM   #99
pts1956
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT MASTER 6542
Icon14 Rolex patina dial v hands

Hi Phillip, I'm a newbie to the forum and I have to say how useful the information has been from members experience on the forum. I read with interest your guidance and found it fascinating, in particular what pricked my interest was the section on the dial v hands ageing issues. I have to say from my own experience and in my very inexperienced and humble opinion I have concluded that may depend on how the watch was stored. I have my fathers old GMT master 6542 circa 1958. The watches bakelite bezel broke back in the 70's and the strap went a similar way, no idea where the papers are either. Unfortunately dad couldn't afford to replace the items as he had a family and mortgage to pay for. After he died in 1977 the watch has been in my wife's jewellery box in a plastic cash bag in my wardrobe since around 1978 it has been in the dark . Having recently being reminded of its existence after seeing a Rolex on antiques road show I decided to get it out and have a look. Strangely enough I noticed that the hands had become almost grey, the numbers an almost pinky colour, yet the circle on second sweep hand appeared even brighter than the rest. I'm sure generally what you have concluded is in most cases spot on but I guess there is always an exception to the rule, clearly keeping it cooped up for so long appears to have effected the minute and hour hand far more, but I can''t understand why. I've uploaded the picture ( I think!) as I'm sure others may find it of interest (note the strap is cheap tat). PS I intend to have the date issue fixed by an ARD and will possibly have a new plexi-glass glass fitted (but keep the original) and get a nice leather strap as it seems a shame for it to be locked away and it needs to be worn ! Regards Pete

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1531 copy.jpg (288.0 KB, 608 views)
pts1956 is offline   Reply With Quote