View Single Post
Old 17 December 2019, 12:57 PM   #4
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
3.1m puts you in 1971ish I think... Did you ever have parts replaced at a service?
This may bring back a ghost of a story. I bought my wife's engagement ring at a jewelry story in Chicago in 1976. They were in the Pittsfield Building, Downtown, a building with about 50 jewelers in it. (Sutters Watch Repair was also there at the time.) We told the salesmen were also looking for a red/blue Rolex GMT. He said give me a few days and I'll get back to you. He had the watch. It came in a green box (marked 06.?0.06 - Switzerland) with the outside box, instruction book, brown chronometer seal and green plastic GMT tag. It was roughly $550. We just got a hand written receipt on a two part carbon paper sheet with no SN noted. We were happy and quite frankly, I had no idea how important an AD was. To us it was purchased just like a diamond but was made of SS. Checking serial numbers quite a few years later I was confused that the mfg date seemed to be several years prior to purchase. Sutter's adjusted it a month or so after we got it, no charge, but mentioned it was not an AD when I showed my receipt. He mentioned nothing about the date of mfg. Never had a problem with it until it stopped in 88. The watch was serviced in 88 by Sutter's and again in 2017 by Basch's in Cleveland. Basch's changed the date wheel but I got the original. A tiny dot of the number 29 was missing. Everything else is original. Was it a used watch, I don't know?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote