View Single Post
Old 12 September 2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Hi juliet,

I wish I could be more helpful than I’m about to be, but I can tell this is an important heirloom to you, so I’ll share what I can.

There are some folks who will probably tell you it’s a Wahl Eversharp. I’m pretty certain it’s not. While Wahl did produce a pencil very similar, the clip and it’s fixing are subtly different. Also, they generally have “Wahl Eversharp” engraved. They’re also, I have to say, generally better quality.

I’m pretty sure your pencil is of British origin as I’ve seen several like it over the years. In fact, there are several identical on U.K. eBay right now!

As to the maker, well I don’t think it’s one of the big pen makers like De La Rue, Swan, Parker etc, I don’t think it’s from one of the smaller ones either. Most of them were pen manufacturers first, their pencils resemble their pens, and I recognise most of them.

One of the best pencil makers was (and still is) Yard O Lead, but it’s not one of theirs.
There was a small firm who produced a pencil marked “Sylveke”. Whether that was the maker, or their trade mark, I can’t say, but some of them were very similar indeed to yours, and they date from about the right period.
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote