View Single Post
Old 29 February 2020, 02:29 AM   #29
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
For us worrywarts .... this is the post you need to remember the most. In the U.S. alone, about 60,000 people die every year from the flu, and many of us don't even get the vaccine!

Good to be cautious and careful, of course, but people, can we please stop the panic!? The hype and fear-mongering are out of control.
The flu kills about 14 people per 100,000 cases in the US.

With a ~3.5% mortality rate, coronavirus would be ~3,500 deaths per 100,000 cases

I was talking about this with friends last night. Those rates are vastly different and our experience will be nothing like the flu. I’m 37 and lucky enough to not know anyone who’s died from the flu. The 2 friends I was talking to last night also didn’t know anyone who died from the flu. You also can’t catch the same strain of the flu more than once.

I believe our experience to be different with this when corona really hits due to the rates and fact a person can get it more than once. I hypothesize that we'll all know someone who dies from this before it’s all said and done

The US is basically dong nothing for prevention

Don’t panic, but it’s very possible that we experience a societal paradigm shift once this really gets going

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”