View Single Post
Old 18 March 2020, 11:17 PM   #2560
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
I suspect food distribution is going to become an issue. We are advised to stay at home and self-isolate... some have to because they have increased vulnerability due to underlying health conditions.

Simultaneously, there are no delivery slots (or click and collect slots) available on most UK supermarkets for a month.... to add to this, the supermarkets are rationing supplies because of the morons buying 20 loaves of bread. So you can only buy 2 tins of soup (not 4) and this has to last you a month because there are no deliveries.

I have been monitoring 4 major supermarket chains over the past 5 days (I'm bored) and I am not exaggerating. There may be some areas that are slightly better, but in my part of the world, not far from London, you simply cannot arrange for a home delivery.

And yet.... the distribution channels are robust.... there is plenty of food - arguably a surplus as restaurants are closing down.

We could all do with losing a few pound, but this feels the wrong time to get thin! :)
Part of the complication (in the US) is that the suppliers for restaurants are not the same as the suppliers for grocery stores. So, there will need to be repackaging / labeling / account acquisition on part of the restaurant suppliers to sell product to grocery stores. Especially since demand is shifting from restaurant (now closed in North Carolina) to grocery purchases. I can say grocery stores are looking like Russian grocery stores in the 80's. It is a mess.