View Single Post
Old 18 February 2016, 02:32 AM   #1
Danishtext
"TRF" Member

My experience of buying a Rolex SubC No Date and how much I like it

Hi Everyone. I have been reading so much here, but never contributed anything. I really feel like sharing my experiences of purchasing a Rolex Sub C No Date. Hope you don't mind.

Following a long period of comparing various Rolex watches, mainly the Sub C, Explorer I, the GMT ceramic BLNB and also the Datejust (fluted bezel), my significant other can't tolerate my nightly habit of ogling those watches anymore. Initially I hesitated due to the high price (to me at least), then started calling ADs in various cities, such as Berlin and Madrid and compare the prices. The prices in the city where I live is simply out of the question, much higher than in Europe, even VAT exempted.

Meanwhile I have not settled my decision yet whether to finally purchase the the Sub C or the Explorer I. To me, I was not very of the cyclop and although the date function is very useful, but I figured that I should start remembering dates daily, so the no date sub is what I have in mind. Finally, I thought that the silver Arabic numbers in the Explorer I was a little too big and too shiny. So the Sub C no date it was.

My inquiries on the phone with sales assistants in ADs in Berlin and Madrid were very useful. They willingly tell my their stock and also what the price would be without VAT. However, I notice that the VAT return could be quite complicated and that more often the case, a fee is charged. I also have to consider plane tickets and hotels to my cost. I then came across the city of Ceuta, a Spanish territory in Africa. It also has an additional benefit, namely the entire city does not apply VAT and has a listed Rolex AD. I called them up and with minimum communication (I don't speak Spanish and his English is limited), I gather that the watch I wanted was in stock that the price would be about 200 Euros less than the full price in Madrid. It was rather odd as the price offered without VAT in Madrid was much less. There was no way I could argue about VAT exemption with the limited communication we are experiencing. But from my readings I knew that when it comes to purchasing Rolex, you have to go to the store in person and haggle. Most ADs do not like to haggle over the phone.

On a beautiful Friday morning, we went to Ceuta and straight to the AD. I haggled and once they realized that I was a serious buyer, they offered me a final price which was not entirely VAT exempt, but about what I would have gotten had I bought it in Madrid and went through VAT refund. You see, through rudimentary calculations, I come to understand that even though VAT rate is 21% in Spain, but after VAT refund process is completed, the price of the item would only be 11-12% cheaper than the full price.
How do I feel after wearing the Sub C no date after 6 months? Well, so much has been written about it in this forum and I think most of it is true. On my personal note, the reason I wanted a Rolex is to have a solid and serious watch. For some unknown reason I am attracted to it. It seems every part of Rolex is well thought and well designed. I can not deny that a part of me feels that owning a Rolex would be a status symbol as well. But now, once I own it, I tend to wear the watch under the cuff as I were rather hiding than exposing it. It is almost as if I wanted that my relation with the watch that I am wearing would be a secret because wearing a Rolex gives me so much satisfaction on so many different levels.

I hope that my experience would be useful here, and to those hesitating of buying a Rolex, do not hesitate anymore. I did not regret my purchase and it has been on my wrist ever since. Last week I wanted to rest my rolex and use another watch for one or two days, but I simply couldn't. Sorry for my bad English. And a post is not complete without some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (94.4 KB, 3378 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (68.2 KB, 3341 views)
Danishtext is offline   Reply With Quote