View Single Post
Old 4 May 2021, 07:58 PM   #36
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
"TRF" Member

Since everyone has given you grey advice on how to proceed with your original post topic, I’ll get into the second being your daughters.

I would honestly look towards getting used cars that are meant for the purpose of where they’d plan on going.

SUVs and Minivans are great, but just like how they can haul lots of stuff, they can haul lots of people....who in teen years are usually distractions.
To solve this, I’m building my niece a Miata— simple 4cyl engine to work on and learn from even if not a car person, parts are cheap, excellent aftermarket support for when dealership visits don’t make sense, and come in both manual and auto variants (I’m putting her in a stick shift of course). Most of all I go by the old roadster adage: “kids in the back seats cause accidents & accidents in the back seats cause kids; no backseats = no accidents”.

If you know your daughters will be occasionally driving through unpredictable terrain (I live in Denver and go anywhere from Aspen to New Mexico every other day), then nothing beats a car with all wheel drive. There has been quite a few times I’ve helped teens fish their cars out of tricky ice spots on mountain roads with my Jeep Wrangler (winches are awesome). Older Subarus, Jeep Wranglers, and 4x4 Toyotas are amazing for this. Plus if they ever want to make their car cooler, there’s again tons of aftermarket support and strong car communities that are on the level of a WIS but with their cars.

All things aside though passing your car to your daughters is also a great idea especially if they immediately associate all their fun memories with it.
I never got a chance to inherit my father’s dodge sedan (I became a car guy well after he passed and it was sold, so I don’t even remember what it was), but it heavily influenced me buying a new Charger this year despite knowing its RWD and I’m always in the snow lol.

Lots to think about, but as you watch your kids grow you’ll have cues on what directions to drive towards with their first cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) is offline   Reply With Quote