View Single Post
Old 18 June 2016, 09:38 PM   #51
Old timer
"TRF" Member

In the early 1950’s, before there was a Rolex Explorer, the Oyster Perpetual Chronometer (semi-bubble back) was the tool watch of choice.
My own OP Date (1500) had just been stolen in Taipei 30 years ago, when I spotted this 6106 in a back alley off Linsen North Road selling for US$200. Belatedly I discovered it was in non-working condition (the self-winding mechanism was absent and glue had been substituted for several missing screws). But I fell in love with its face.

The Chinese representatives in Rolex Taipei and Rolex Hong Kong refused to touch it. But as I was walking out the door of their office in the Swire Building in Hong Kong, a Swiss expatriate kindly suggested it be sent back to Geneva, where Rolex Geneva then did an overhaul. Later a helpful Australian client and Rolex collector took it to his watch-maker in Sydney for a touch-up.

After several decades it is still my daily watch. However with the amount of money spent on this OP, (servicing, replacing the crown and crown tube, new crystal), I could easily have bought a shiny new Oyster Perpetual. - But then again, who ever said love makes one behave rationally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown Band-1a.jpg (87.5 KB, 671 views)
File Type: jpg Brown Band-2.jpg (48.4 KB, 669 views)
Old timer is offline   Reply With Quote