View Single Post
Old 12 September 2017, 12:52 AM   #4
tng11
"TRF" Member

It has some significance as the first forged carbon watch that AP presented, and AP has since discontinued the use of forged carbon.

My understanding is that the forged carbon on these models was not as good as later models, the case was more susceptible to wear and flaking.

I also remember back in the day the discussion around the "white frame" and "no frame" Alinghi logos - the "white frame" ones were declared to be rarer than the "no frame" ones and were traded at a premium.

If you are to buy one, I'd be very picky about the service history, condition of the carbon and the PVD caseback/buckle. I've seen quite a few ones that look in really bad shape., the bezels are all rounded. Also, the market for these seem to have significantly softened - I remember back in the day when they were released they were trading for huge premiums (north of $30K used, close to $40K BNIB). Since then I've seen pieces as low as $17.5K (condition questionable), to north of $30K for NOS. If you buy a good condition one on the lower end of this range your downside will be limited - but it may be hard to find a buyer for this piece.

I also think it looks best on ceramic plots with a black hornback/red stitching:

tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote