View Single Post
Old 20 February 2009, 03:30 PM   #72
ilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeya View Post
funny i was told not to wear my diving watch when taking a shower by an AD too. The reason they gave me is that the steam from the shower can penetrate the watch. basically, the point AD made was that the watch is water proof but not steam proof. (i assume because the steam is a much finer partical)
Steam = vapor and there is a constant water vapor exchange from water to air, this is why spilled water will quickly evaporate. If I'm not mistaken, the amount of water vapor in air is usually referred to as "humidity". I haven't measured it, but I doubt that the humidity in a shower is much above 100% and maybe I'm being stupid, but I suspect that, by definition, it can't be higher than 100%. Anyway, 100% humidity is a common value in certain areas of the world, including much of the United States (even if you also require a 100F air temperature, as in a hot shower), not to mention tropical jungles (so James Bond would have had to take his submariner off during jungle duty). Try drying wet clothes on a 100% humidity day and see what happens, there is too much vapor in the air to absorb any more from the clothes.

You can check out whether I'm right or have made all of it up by looking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity

-ilan
ilan is offline   Reply With Quote