View Single Post
Old 27 June 2018, 11:59 PM   #19
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
We're talking about the current generation of Overseas?

To be honest, we don't really know the popularity of the line. Forum is a poor way to gauge that. For example, we don't talk about Cartier tanks a lot on forums and they have poor resale values, but they are the single best seller across all models in the entire Richemont portfolio. That said, I do speculate that Overseas has weaker sales, relative to the sports line of AP and PP.

And it could be because:

- Vacheron is known for dress watches, not sports. The overseas design (even the original) was not designed by Genta. With AP and PP's dominance in this 70's-themed segment, there is little need to look further...

- Vacheron changes its design too often, making it look more like a 'fashion' watch, whereas AP and PP remain their signature styles over time. Design-wise, I personally prefer the 2nd generation overseas. Since they revolutionized the design, I need time to soak in the new design cues...

- Marketing/brand equity: AP heavily markets the brand, targeting celebrities of all kinds; Vacheron doesn't. PP's natilus has in-house movements; Vacheron didn't - until most recently. IMO, both of those brands have higher brand equity than VC, which was once considered a "trinity" brand. I'm not sure if being owned by a conglomerate makes a difference in perception. It certainly does for me. VC's current strategies of releasing low-price steel models weakens the brand...

But if you like the watch, that's all it matters.
This is an incredibly important point, that most purists and lovers of haute horology will always focus on. If a design can't be timeless and they must continuously change it.....it's not a good design.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote