View Single Post
Old 13 November 2019, 01:36 AM   #10
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Deep Black

I love wearing my Deep Black, which is exceptional even for a small wrist like mine, and surprisingly light for that size due to ceramic, but still not too light like a usual DSOTM so it is still substantial on the wrist.

The GMT function of the Deep black is un-readable (24hours fonts too small), though the GMT version is the best of all Deep Blacks as it looks the purest and the most shiny black polished of all.

It wears big on the wrist, but it absorbs the light beautifully so it doesn't feel big, giving the look of a badass Darth Vader's watch.

I long hesitated with the Speedmaster Dark Side of The Moon with co-axial movement (the sandwich case) which is absolutely stunning in flesh, but I was shocked by the light weight of the Speedmaster. It doesn't feel substantial on the wrist, judging by the weight. I suppose the Apollo8 has the same issue - which will be an advantage for those who prefer light watches.

Apollo8:

I saw the Apollo 8 once and once stunned by the black beauty combined with a captivating moon dial. Maybe I will go for it one day. That yellow second hand super-visible is the perfect balance of the watch which recalls the racing aspect of space race, where Apollo8 was the first to reach the lunar orbit. Perfect design idea.

I also love the 1861... well.. 1869 here.. movement (the same but with skeletonized decoration). This is the true Speedy pro movement, the real one, manual wound. This make the Apollo 8 the only true Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon Moonwatch, because technically, the other DSOTM are all Coaxial Speedmaster and therefore not Professional Speedy, and not spaceflight certified (the 1861 movement has the space flight certification).
This is an important point to mention if you are in the Speedy / Space fan game.

And by the way, this is the only manual wound Speedy in a 44mm case, as normal Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch are in 42mm. This is the only downside in my opinion because a true manual wound Speedy should be in 42mm.. Anyway, Omega did it this way.
The only advantage of it is the crown which is longer and sits a little bit more outside than on a 42mm Speedy Pro, therefore making it much easier to wind manually.

Conclusion:

So these are 2 different watches. One is historical (higher value retention), the other one is more a beautiful tool watch. But both are stunning good looking.

I won't recommend wearing the Apollo8 on Nato. The Nato elevate the lugs from the wrist, making it more vulnerable to shocks. In case of shock the lug will not be able to dissipate the energy in the wrist... And ceramic watch lugs hate shocks. They break and shatter into pieces like a ceramic mug. And you are go for a 5000 USD case replacement...
Keep it in mind.

I hope this helps.
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote