View Single Post
Old 10 December 2022, 01:00 AM   #99
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Thanks. I spent a year being bitter about what I’d lost in the assault, trying to figure out how to get my old life back. I had no faith in psychology, but the doc I saw for two years was much smarter than I. At the right time in my therapy, he made his simple statement about choosing to thrive, and for some reason, I was ready to hear it.

I choose to ride 150,000 miles around North America on my motorcycle. I became a ski patroller doing basic first aid, then the director of the ski and mountain bike patrol at my resort. We sold the family home in town of 26 years and built our dream home in the pine woods. And every step of the way, I remembered the doc’s words, that my life was a series of choices.

I can honestly say that I’ve never once wished I was back in the Emergency Department waiting for terrible things to happen to people.
You're story somewhat parallels my wife's journey.

She did not suffer trauma like you did in the physical sense, but she did in the emotional sense.

She left her career of 20+ years at family and children services where she served on a national child sex trafficking task force. The things she endured, the things she saw and heard are unimaginable. No person should be in that line of work that long. It takes a toll.

She left it all behind about a year ago, and is a much happier, healthier person.

Lesson: letting go of the past is a process, you have to be ready to receive your future.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote