View Single Post
Old 31 May 2016, 02:35 PM   #96
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
So how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

I'm just going to go ahead and state what's probably obvious to many, but with all respect to the level of finishing posted in these photos, is it really that important if it requires such a macro view?

I've read this thread with interest, and respect the varied views expressed, even some which I vehemently disagree or barely understand. I think if we are going to examine these watches on a microscopic level though, somehow the overall aesthetic gets lost. My vision's not perfect, but I would propose that if the differences can't be appreciated with corrected 20/20 acuity, perhaps it's not really all that important. I'm not sure that even with the benefit of a loupe would I be able to discern some of these differences.
I did post an article showing different movement pics with this macro pic level, and it was, as far as I can tell, the same pics or at least the same movements as is shown on this one, at the time I must say I was quite disappointed, as in 2 months I have a Patek coming in, but after thinking it over I realized, having already had one, that without magnification, the movement looks great, and that I had no intention of looking at my movements, wether my incoming Patek or my AP, with any kind of enlarging device, even with a loupe, of course if I had a Simplicity, or any other incredibly fine finished movement of their level, yes I would look with a loupe from time to time, but it is not something which is of the biggest importance for me, as long as the movement looks beautiful using only my eyes well it's all good for me, and every time I looked at my 240, probably 2-5 times per day, it looked great, so sure having a finely hand finished movement is the cherry on the cake, but if I needed to pay 10k more for the same Patek to have something that my eyes can't see, I would prefer to get like it is now, though maybe they could give it a little extra effort, not saying to make it like Dufour or even the datograph, which we are forgetting is much more expensive than many Patek pieces with the 240 movement, but as far as movements go, the Datograph is the most incredible one I have seen in real life
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote