View Single Post
Old 14 July 2020, 02:34 AM   #12
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
Thanks Rob, for yet another great public service thread!

Quote:
Knots are an internal indication of where there was once a tree branch, while burls are the roughly hemispherical ‘lumps’ which grow directly on tree trunks
Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Quote:
“African mahogany"...the name alone reveals the falsity. There are only two generally accepted “real” mahoganies - Cuban mahogany (swietenia mahagoni, the original, the good stuff) and Honduran or Bigleaf mahogany (swietenia macrophylla); both are native only to the West Indies and South FL.
Good point, there is definitely a mahogany rabbit hole to dive into:

Quote:
Depending on who you talk to, African Mahogany in the Khaya genus may or not be considered the real deal. For most, it’s close enough in appearance and characteristics to carry the mahogany label without controversy, but purists will be quick to draw a distinction between the mahoganies of the New World and those from Africa. African Mahogany is comprised of a handful of species in the Khaya genus, such as K. anthotheca, K. grandifoliola, K. ivorensis, and K. senegalensis. While these species are from an entirely different genus (and continent) than the wood classed as “genuine mahogany,” taking a step up the botanical ladder from genus to family, both fall into the Meliaceae family
I think Rolex's mahogany was always the so-called "African mahogany." I think the only ads I've seen mentioning it always specify "African" as below:

powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote