View Single Post
Old 17 August 2019, 06:00 AM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper33 View Post
Just wanted to drop a note about something that happened at work. Shows how us, watch enthusiasts and vintage collectors, have a totally different relationship with our watches than "other people".

So, I have this friend that sits on a different floor, I don't see him often but we have lunch together every now and then. He was given a triple 6 Sea Dweller from his grandfather when he was just a kid, with engraving on the caseback, really nice matching tritium dial, bezel and hands, never polished, never serviced....just amazing. I always said I would buy the watch knowing full well that he would never sell it. He is not a watch guy but he knows what he has.

I saw him this week and, as usual, took a look at his wrist. From the side, I realized that the watch was shining a bit more than usual, and wondered if he had it polished.

It turns out that the watch stopped a while ago so he decided to take it to RSC NY. They told him that they wouldn't service it without replacing all "old" parts. He initially pushed back but since RSC insisted that it was their policy, he had it serviced. Said that the thought only RSC could do the job/give a warranty.

I then took a closer look at it...new dial, hands, bezel, polish. As someone who is always looking for a triple 6 myself, it pained me to see it!

He wasn't really bothered by it, as he will never sell, and I also tried not to show a lot of reaction to what was done (while I was ).

Anyway, that's it. I wonder what RSC does with all of the parts that they replace. I'm sure they don't destroy it...there are too many replacement dials and hands on the secondary market, I wonder what happens....
They don’t throw out the old Parts,I’m pretty sure Rolex is up on what these parts bring on the open Market.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote