View Single Post
Old 25 August 2020, 01:36 PM   #11
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

This was my first Rolex too....well, technically my second one since the first I inherited from my father. I had no special reason to buy it other than just wanting one. My dad's Rolex was in the safe for over 20 years, almost forgotten until I stumbled across it. I did a bunch of research on it, got it serviced and looking good again. During this time of research and consulting with Rolex dealers, I saw the solid gold version of this watch. The SA let me hold it and OMG....I fell in love! I figured I could probably never afford or justify buying the full gold version so I took a look at the Rolex website and tooled around with Datejusts, figuring I'd start with a more affordable piece. After I configured one the way I thought I wanted it to look, the price was within a few hundred dollars of the TT Bluesy. And so the obsession began. I watched every YouTube video on this watch, many numerous times. I worked more, went out less, stopped spending money on girls and once I got close to having the money I needed I started contacting the AD's again that I had talked to earlier. Well, when my quest began, this watch was still available for custom order, 2 to 3 month wait, no big deal. Just as I called to try to get one, it was no longer on the order list, now it was all "first come first serve". I spent a Saturday cold calling all the AD's in my area. One of them came through and got one in just one week later....and the rest is history. I got it in August and usually only wore it when going out. Since I was new to the game, despite my best efforts of being careful with the watch and only using good microfibers to obsessively clean it, I managed to install a bunch of hairline scratches into the gold. Covid came around and I really never had a good reason to wear that watch, so I didn't....but I got tired of my Tag Heuer daily (bracelet is presidential style and stretched pretty badly which annoyed me) so I decided I want another Rolex to wear every day. Lucky for me, as soon as the AD I got the Bluesy from opened up again, they had the exact DJ41 that I wanted. While purchasing it, I noticed the Rootbeer my SA was wearing, so now, I am waiting on it. My cleaning methods have much improved, and since I know the Rootbeer really won't get all that much wrist time, I should be able to keep it rather pristine.

Sorry for the long story, I type pretty fast and just couldn't stop....lol