View Single Post
Old 16 October 2020, 02:27 AM   #4
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcwon View Post
Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so hopefully I did the correct thing by posting it here.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to confirm for me whether the click spring on this S Serial 16710A looks correct? The watch has an issue where the spring keeps slipping off the click track, and jamming up the bezel. I then have to remove the bezel and reseat it...... until it happens again. If the spring is worn or bent incorrectly, is there anywhere I can order a replacement? Thanks so much for any info you can give me!
Late to the party, but that spring appears to be about half the length of the click spring on my c. 2000 P-serial number 16710. Here is a photo of mine with the OEM spring installed. I've never had a problem.

The Rolex part number for this spring is 317-16628. This newer longer click spring is a replacement for the shorter one in John's original post photo. It allows "...for the bezel to move clockwise/counter-clockwise easier. I looked at Z series 16710T's and Yachtmasters at an AD recently and noticed that they use the same new clickspring as the bezels moved easily clockwise as they did counter-clockwise. The new clickspring is much better than the older, original clicksprings that made the bezel rotate counter-clockwise easier, and harder when rotating clockwise. The new clickspring is the one pictured on the top, and the original on the bottom. Notice that the new clickspring, when installed, bows in the opposite direction than the original clickspring, as well as being much longer causing it not to bind like the original clickspring. The original clickspring allowed the bezel to rotate clickwise, and bind somewhat when the bezel was rotated counter clockwise." Quote is from link below.

https://www.minus4plus6.com/116710.php Scroll down to "When discussing GMT bezels, I have to digress on a relatively new discovery on Rolex's change in clicksprings."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bezel Click Spring Installed.jpg (250.8 KB, 264 views)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan

Last edited by Stan Cooper; 16 October 2020 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: Added part number and link explaining clickspring change
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote