View Single Post
Old 23 July 2009, 04:30 AM   #13
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
Because I'm a difficult person by nature I would like to know the historical significance of say, the Hublot Big Bang. This is just an example. Has it been to the moon? To the top of the Mount Everest? Or 'round the Pope's wrist? That's what I meant by 'historical significance'. The Hamilton Pulsar, 'The Time Computer', was the world's first commercially available LED watch. Now that I find significant!
No, but neither have the Lange 1, the PP Calatrava, etc.

I think the Big Bang's historical significance will need to be measured over time. It is after all a watch that was released only 4 years ago. However, in that short span, a company whose biggest market was Spain gambled on one model only, and was then sold last year for nearly half a billion dollars. Hublot was the first to mate a rubber strap with a gold watch, and the Big Bang brings this design phenomenon to a pinnacle in a specific genre of watch...one that has been mimicked by quite a few other companies.

I think some of its more colorful/adventurous versions of the Big Bang may not stand the test of time, but the ceramic/SS or the Ice Bang (for example) will IMO hold up as representative of a milestone in watchmaking.