View Single Post
Old 18 May 2019, 12:21 PM   #5
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I remember your posts from a while back and I see that your collection expanded quickly. Congratulations, as it's a great collection. I suspected you'd end up with more watches than you originally thought and at a faster rate than you anticipated. When bitten by the bug and when you can afford it (and sometimes even when you can't!), collections seem to grow fast.

In looking at your current collection, I wouldn't say it's too Rolex heavy, as you have a Lange chronograph and a JLC for your dress watches and they make some of the best dress watches while Rolex makes some of the best sport watches.

That written, it's too Daytona heavy and I fail to see the point of having two steel Daytonas in a six watch collection, especially when one of your other Rolexes has a black dial and you're contemplating a black dial Submariner. Don't get me wrong, the Daytona is a great watch and I'm waiting on a white dial myself but I personally think one is enough and the white one, in my opinion, is the one to get. (I'd personally rather have a Speedmaster than a black dial Daytona, especially if you already own a white dial one.)

I also personally wouldn't get rid of the LV since you have one, as it's a great color to have for variety. Adding the 114060 would be fine, as it's the quintessential dive watch and having no date makes it different enough from the LV, in my opinion, but if you think you'll only wear one diver, think on which one you like more. One thing to consider is that the 114060 is more versatile but it also more closely resembles your GMT. Still, the 114060 is my diver and Rolex of choice, although I own other divers and other Rolexes too and I've considered an LV.

As for the IWC Portuguese in blue, you already have some blue in your GMT and while the Portuguese is a great watch (I have the white dial one with blue hands and numerals), it does wear large due to the thin bezel and I'd personally be looking at a moonphase calendar instead, as you don't really need another chronograph with the Lange and the Rolex(es?) and your collection is lacking that lovely complication. My favorite moonphase calendars are from Lange, Patek, Vacheron, and JLC, especially the last if you're not wanting to spend so much or favor steel. Of course it's your collection and I have my biases, but I'm also trying to be as objective as possible.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote