View Single Post
Old 18 November 2019, 09:07 AM   #9
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I spent a long time yesterday at the Seiko boutique in Miami...pretty much going over all the watches available....including the LX lineup.

I was quite interested in these as I have an MM300 and other Seiko's of course, so I am a supporter of the brand.

As I held the LX Diver with bracelet I like the styling of the watch and the finish of the TI had a very slick industrialistic feel to it...like a nice piece of machinery.

I then noticed the bracelet had some sharp edges that created hotspots on the wrist. Not my favorite thing to feel..but I can put it on a strap..yada yada.

Then I unscrewed the crown and went to screw it back down...what did I feel?

Gritiness. Yep. Crown was gritty. It didn't feel happy at all screwing back down.

Then I looked at the price tag. $5,000.00 . Yep, that's a pass on that. I can't spend that much and have to fiddle with that crown action...

I have 3 other spring drives, so that movement is not going to sway me to overcome the crown issue. I'm sure the OP's LXcrown is great and all that, but the one I tried absolutely was not and that highlights the inconsistency in Seiko. For that $$ they ALL should feel great. ALL of them.

I moved on and found they had the SPB105 with the green dial.

Tried it out. Everything felt right and the crown was smooth as could be. Bracelet felt nice too. Price? $1050.00

SOLD...so I bought that instead.

There in lies the problem from a WIS POV. The LX are just too expensive in comparison to other Seiko offerings that cost less and seem to have better QC.

For the general public, there is no way they will spend $5K on a watch with the same name on it as a $250 watch at Macy's. NO WAY.

So, both markets (WIS and GP) will struggle with these references. Just too much $$$
My crown is all good, but Seiko replaced my first LX cause the holes on the clasp were milled off center and you couldn’t micro adjust so I definitely see your point here. But the replacement I received is flawless.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote