View Single Post
Old 29 December 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
dplynch
"TRF" Member

Tudor Hydronaut Review

Review of my Tudor Prince Date Hydronaut

Case: Excellent

The mix of brushed and polished surfaces on this 41mm case is very pleasing to the eye. At 11mm thick, it will easily fit under a shirt cuff. The unique Hydronaut case design makes it look like the crown and bezel sink into the case. The triplock crown with the visible first gasket and the holes case are a reminder of Tudor’s Rolex heritage while being more that a Rolex homage. Unlike Rolex, Tudor uses 316L steel in the case construction.

The oyster case back again reminds us that this is a baby Rolex.

Dial: Excellent

This dial is simple, symmetrical and not busy. The semi-skeletonized hands are easy to read and well lumed. Both the minute and second hand reach all the way to the second markers on the dial. Markers are applied adding depth to the dial and are in proportion with the rest of the dial. The red “Tiger” adds a splash of color to the otherwise black and silver dial. The white background on the date works esthetically with the silver dial in a way it does not with a black dial.

Tudor used a flat sapphire crystal with no anti-reflective coating and a date magnifier.

Bezel: Excellent

The feel of a bezel’s movement is one clear indicator of quality in a dive watch. The Hydronaut’s uni-directional bezel moves with smooth, clearly audible clicks. The edge of the bezel has classy alternating polished and brushed cuts that are easy to grip. The lumed zero triangle aligns perfectly with the 12 o’clock marker. At first, it is difficult to tell that the bezel has an aluminum insert and is not cut from a single piece of steel. Good job Tudor.

Bracelet: Good

The Hydronaut bracelet tapers from 20mm at the lugs to 16mm at the clasp. This is out of fashion but does add to the comfort of the bracelet. The end links are solid as all of the bracelet sections with the exception of two ,which had hollow center links. I removed the two sections when sizing the watch. I’m not sure why Tudor did this. I don’t like to see shortcuts of this kind in a watch at this price point.

Clasp: Poor

What can I say? This is a disaster. It has all been said before. This is an unacceptable clasp for a $2000 watch. I will say it is comfortable and easy to adjust with micro adjustment holes. Regardless, this is an issue that should have been addressed 20 years ago.

Movement: Fair

The engine inside the case is the very common ETA 2824-2. It is a reliable and easy to maintain movement. Over the last two days it has been running at a very acceptable +3 sec. Tudor claims to modify the movement. However, I suspect that modify means little more than engrave “Tudor” on the rotor.

Value: Fair

I purchased this watch for $1500 from someone I know well. The original owner purchased the watch for just under $2000 in 2001. The watch was last serviced 4 years ago. I estimate the current value of a Tudor Hydronaut, in good condition, to be from $1200 to $2000. It has minor scratches and wear which you should see in the photos. All of these blemishes should polish out. The watch will also need a service. I expect to invest another $400 to get it into top condition. This will bring my total to around $1900.

Conclusion:

The Tudor Prince Date Hydronaut. Is a solid diver that can be easily acquired on the secondary market for under $2000. It is hard to talk about the Hydronaut without referring to its big brother, the Rolex Submariner. The Trip-lock crown, oyster case, holes case, date magnifier, and even the date font , all reference the most iconic of dive watches. Admittedly, that is part of the appeal. Nevertheless, the Hydronaut is not a Submariner with an ETA movement. The case design, bezel, dial, and bracelet take tudor in a different and appealing direction.

I do have a few minor complaints. The cheap stamped clasp does bother me. I also wish they would have simply written Hydronaut in red on the dial and not felt the need to give marketing dollars to an ambassador. I find the whole idea of a paid ambassador somewhat insulting.

Overall, I am thrilled with my Tudor Prince Date Hydronaut and hope to wear it for years to come.

Best wishes,

David Lynch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1672.jpg (66.7 KB, 1657 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1661.jpg (74.3 KB, 1619 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1663.jpg (50.2 KB, 1604 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1673.jpg (39.5 KB, 1605 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1668.jpg (78.6 KB, 1599 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1651.jpg (57.7 KB, 1601 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1664.jpg (74.5 KB, 1596 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1665.jpg (100.1 KB, 1588 views)
dplynch is offline   Reply With Quote