View Single Post
Old 21 October 2019, 11:48 PM   #1
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Icon7 My recent acquisition - Omega Planet Ocean - Pepsi

My 40th celebration for being on the planet is coming up in a few months. I'm fortunate to be have been able to purchase another watch for the occasion. Given the October Omega price rise, the family agreed we should buy the watch 3 months early.

After being away from the watch-world for several years (work, life, daughter born 2 years ago) I started looking at different makes and models without really knowing too much of what's out there.

To my shock, I discovered the Rolex SS shortage. I don't like Rolex enough to need to beg an AD for one, be on a waiting list or pay a premium grey or used one.

I looked at IWC and Omega. I liked the blue aquatime. Thing is I already have my all time favourite IWC, so any addition would always come second. The aquatimer is a nice watch and worth anyone's consideration.

After trying the Omega Planet Ocean range (which seems to have changed quite a bit from what it remembered), I started leaning towards one. I liked the black and black/orange models. To my surprise the 43.5mm size wasn't too big for my wrists.

It's worth noting I owned a 2500c PO years ago. I loved it but it had a lemon movement and imperfections on the dial. I had to sell it after it went for repair 4 or 5 times.

I visited the only two Omega ADs in Perth. One watch stood out - a Pepsi coloured Omega Planet Ocean 43.5mm, on a unique red/blue rubber strap.

I never recalled seeing one at the other AD or the Omega PO collection website. On closer inspection, the markings on the case-back showed it was one of 2018 LE Olympic editions.

I never cared much for LE's, some can be a bit of a gimmick.

My wife liked this particular PO colour combination best also. After taking a week to think about it, I couldn't see another PO as nice as this one. She told me to go buy it!

Research showed the box would contain a metal bracelet, not mentioned on the Omega website: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...52232442103001

I visited the 1st AD again and they didn't have that particular watch. When I told them about it, the sales lady advised me to go to her competition and buy that LE. She agreed it was one of the nicer colour combinations she'd seen.

I made an offer at the first AD 2 days before the price raise. After getting the bracket sized, I walked away with my new watch.

I've been enjoying it for about 2 weeks now. Im very pleased with it. The colours are superb.

We joke this is the last watch purchase until I turn 80... I joke but my wife is serious :-P