View Single Post
Old 18 August 2018, 08:59 PM   #23
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
It shows the implied status reflected in every single pixel of Rolex advertising.

You never see photo's Ken Federer the plumber or Jack Stewart the
bank security guard in the expensive ads. Your either Chuck Yeager, Kiri Tikanawa or Jordan Spieth etc, or you nobody. Rolex have been ramming
the associated glamour, wealth, celebrity, status symbol imagery in our faces
for 50 years or more, and we, happy Rolex buyers, stroll up, slap our cash
down and pay for it all.
I'm glad I bought mine, years ago, before 'the madness'.(happy days)

When will the bubble burst?
Then you must have bought something that wasn't a Rolex because Hans Wildorf himself sought out big names since the beginning to showcase his watches. Remember Mercedes Gleitze, she wasn't a plumber or electrician or middle class mom.
Fact is that all those people you named are at the very top of their profession. The only possible difference in today's marketing could possibly be that most of these ambassadors don't actually wear their Rolex in their trade. But even since Wilsdorf, Rolex shifted it's marketing not so much for the lifestyle but for excellence. Roger Federer and Chuck Yeager represent excellence in my book, obviously not as husbands or taxi drivers. Rolex doesn't advertise so much of the active use of their watches anymore, their excellence is in design and manufacturing. While Federer represents excellence on the court. That seems to be what they promote.

If you want to see a watch in action, you need to get a Richard Mille, as he has a strict policy for endorsements. Every Richard Mille ambassador will be required to wear his watch during his sporting pursuit. Hence why you see Nadal, Blake or Massa wearing theirs during competition.

A Rolex was never cheap or inexpensive, as even in the 50's and 60's, a Rolex costs 1-2 months pay of the average middle class civilian depending on model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

Putting their watches on the wrists of people who are achievers is a great strategy for a company whose byline is, "A Rolex for Every Achievement."
I have to agree with this.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote