View Single Post
Old 18 October 2020, 05:05 PM   #48
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
You sound like the type that can’t really make it in NYC
It’s the capital of the world my friend, tell my family who landed in Ellis island and never left that the current state will be its demise and they will chuckle at your jokes. Have a good weekend pal.
Can't really make it? Ha, I have been working in NYC for 30 years and still do, I have also lived there for 40 years. I have more than made it.

What made NYC great was the hustle and bustle of so many people packed together...and that is precisely what is killing NYC - having all those people packed together. Today, it is a recipe for death.

Another problem is that NYC became a dump long before Covid-19. Garbage all over the place, homeless sleeping anywhere they want (now they are in luxury hotels- imagine that?) the smell of drugs always in the air. It's awful really. The drug addicts in the parks look like they are trying out for a zombie role in The Walking Dead. Crime is up and nobody can seem to stop it. The police better look the other way if they hope to keep their jobs.

So what is left of NYC today? All the unique beautiful boutique stores along the avenues have vanished, the great "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants are all but gone, the legendary hotels are folding up. Even the big chain stores are all packing up. Broadway/theatres is also shut down. The public school system is completely out of control and the police are disrespected with people callously throwing water bottles at them with impunity. Even the annual New Years Eve Ball drop is cancelled.

Yet with all that, it's still very expensive: Sales tax is 9%, a parking ticket is $115, Lincoln Tunnel is $15 (cash), Train fare is $2.75 one way and a one-bedroom roach infested hell-hole is going to cost you about $2k per month or more. How lovely.

However, New Jersey real estate is up 20% with the average home selling in a week. Can you guess why? Because people who live in cramped NYC buildings want personal space now. They don't want to risk their lives living in buildings and sharing elevators with people who might be infected with Covid-19. Wearing a mask is not enough in NYC because it does not protect your eyes and most people are not wearing goggles.

In Brooklyn - Orthodox communities don't even bother wearing a mask and if you ask them why they will tell you "we already had the virus". Maybe they have herd immunity now but what about everybody else?

My company is now going to be moving our offices out of mid-town NYC to Morristown NJ and we all have the option to work from home permanently. That is music to my ears.

There is no mayor in the world who can fix NYC today. It is just too far gone and one mayor can't manage it. Maybe, just maybe if they elected a dedicated mayor for each of the five boroughs it would have a fighting chance, because then, each respective mayor could focus on his borough and fight for it. But that will never happen in NYC due to stupid politics.

So, is NYC still the capital of the world? Well, maybe in your world. My world... not so much.