View Single Post
Old 1 December 2019, 02:45 AM   #86
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Beautifully expressed. Personal and emotional instead of spec and comparos.
Thanks for sharing, wear in good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Attachment 946767
As the third anniversary of owning a SubC is coming up I decided to write a long term review of my ownership. I understand a few years is not long term for some. However, it is past what I think most watch owners believe is the “honeymoon” phase. Let’s face it a watch only remains in ones collection for multiple years because it is tucked away and forgotten or because one thoroughly enjoys the watch. For me and this watch it is the later.

Ever since I remember I have had a fascination with the Submariner. It is a perfect watch for my lifestyle being active and desiring a luxury timepiece that fits any occasion. You can wear it with a suit, a swimsuit, jeans, nothing, anything. To me the Submariner is the pinnacle of what makes a great sports watch. It is iconic and has the deepest history of any automatic Swiss luxury dive watch. The original James Bond, Sir Sean Connery, wore it. Being someone who prefers to buy modern timepieces that will grow with me the ceramic version was a natural fit.
Attachment 946768

Why did I go with the version sans date? There are various reasons. The symmetry of the dial. The ease of setting the time. The fact that it is the only Submariner without a date (in production). One can always buy another Rolex with a date including a variety of Submariner. But simply put I love the way it looks. The deep black reflective dial that matches the ceramic bezel. The way light reflects off every nook and cranny. The shimmer of the crystal in the sunlight.

At first glance it is nothing special yet very special. But pick it up. To hold it in your hand is awesome. Spin the bezel and it the 120 clicks are buttery smooth yet distinct no backplay at all. The crown is butter smooth when you unscrew it and set the time. To try it on more awesome. To wear it is great. But to enjoy for years is pure happiness. In my humble opinion it is the greatest Rolex one can buy. Everyone should own a SubC. It is a Rolex and there is no doubt or question when one sees it.
Attachment 946769

The features of the watch are not earth shattering other than perhaps the glidelock which is by far the best invention in modern bracelet history. Still even glidelock is purpose built. Function over form which simply works so damn well. It fits like a glove. When your wrist changes it is a simple click, move and snap back into place to get the perfect fit right back. No tools no time spent. Likewise the oysterlock clasp is crisp and secure.
Attachment 946771

So how has it performed? One word, perfectly. The time is highly accurate within specs. It takes a beating but keeps going. Every time i knock it on something I look down in fear but am relieved. It really is built for use. That said I do not abuse the watch but I also do not baby it. I remember the first time I scratched it. I cringed, I complained, I lamented for an hour or so. Then I realized to own and use the watch is the greatest part. It is why I bought it. Each scratch and ding is my history. Do I remember each one? No, actually I do not remember any in particular. But each one adds to the character. I treat all my watches in the same manner. So no, I won’t be polishing it anytime soon.

It is the sum of all the parts that make it so robust yet subtle. One may wonder do I have any complaints about the watch? Well I have a few. First, the fixed center links on the end links. This design feature stretches the watch past 50 mm lug to lug. In my opinion if the center link on the end link is longer than the lug it should not be fixed. It should move with the wrist or be shorter than the lug. My other gripe is it could use a 72 hour power reserve. I am sure the next generation will answer the power reserve gripe but the fixed center link is anyone’s guess.
Attachment 946770

Perhaps the watch that brings you closer to a passion holds a special place in your collection. This is the watch that brought me deeper into the Rolex world and TRF. In fact the seller of the watch actually asked if I would do a pledge membership in order to prove I was a serious buyer. I obliged and am glad I did; both because I secured the watch of my desire and became part of a fantastic community. Often we see negativity on TRF and lose sight of why we came here and continue to come here. We share a passion which is wrist watches of the automatic fashion. It just so happens most of us have an affinity toward Rolex over all other brands. Sometimes it is a refreshing reminder when someone has derailed your mood through a post is to take a deep breath, look down, gaze at your wrist and read those five letters R-O-L-E-X.

I guess the point is I will never sell this watch. But then again why would I?
Rori is offline   Reply With Quote