View Single Post
Old 23 June 2022, 07:22 AM   #31
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
The GMT-second time zone is an interesting topic.

So, when I owned my GMT II (and my EX II) I could set the second time zone to anything I want. Let’s say since I am in aviation I really wanted the Greenwich Mean Time as my second time zone. I set the 24-hour hand eight (8) hours ahead of my local time. Whenever I need to know GMT, I simply look down at the hand and the bezel and Vuluah! (Or however you spell it), there it is at a glance.

If I have a GMT I, or this new Seiko, I look down, move the bezel eight positions and read the GMT off of the bezel. Is this a big deal? Of course not, just an added step. IMHO, it is not as functional as a GMT II, or travelers, or however you want to refer to an independently settable 24 hour hand. Here are the reasons:

1. It’s convenience. I can just glance at the dial for the info I need without having to move any bezel or anything else (call me lazy).

2. I always have to remember it is eight (8) positions away. OK, so that is not a big deal, but with a GMT II, I set the time once, and don’t ever have to think about how many hours ahead or behind I am… AND… what about when your local time changes, like travel or Daylight savings or whatever, how many hours am I off now? Is if forward or back?

Is it a HUGE difference? No, maybe not, but IMHO, the independently settable is much more convenient and useful.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote