View Single Post
Old 10 October 2017, 10:40 AM   #45
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
p Its 4 seconds per day off instead of 2 out of 86,400 seconds.
Some here would say that's really good accuracy because its 99.99537% accurate. That sounds good.

But it only sounds good because we have been conditioned based on our environment to have an opinion about how numbers sound. 99% on a school exam is quite good. A 99% success rate for attempting most things is pretty good. The majority of people don't often see numbers higher than 99% in our every day life.

So when we see 99.99537% we think it must be really good. But what about 99.95%? That sounds pretty good, too, right? However, that would be 43 seconds off per day, which is not so good for a watch.

So, defining things in terms of percentages is only useful if we put it in the context of that item/activity/result. For example, if a batter hits 40% of balls pitched to him that's really good. 40% is good for batting, while 99% for watches (14 minutes off per day) is really bad.

My automatic Seiko that I bought for $100 runs with 99.99% accuracy, about 9 second off per day. So I certainly wouldn't be impressed if a Rolex runs with 99.99% accuracy. Or even 99.99537% accuracy. I'd like my BNIB Rolex operating with at least 99.997685% accuracy---that's two seconds per day.

So, OP, what is the accuracy of your replacement watch?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote