View Single Post
Old 12 July 2018, 05:18 AM   #16
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
The DSOTM is a fantastic watch.. but it continues to bother me how Omega fumbled the ball...

I remember talking to Stephen Urquhart and telling him... " you have something very special here, this is your "DAYTONA"... keep it 'Boutique only' if people want it, they have to pay full MSRP, and there might be a wait-list... but it will amplify the buzz you've already created"...

Instead.. they saturated the market, and then diluted it with 6 more "sides of the moon"...

the result is 50% MSRP on the grey market... so instead of people seeing it as a "must have/worth a premium"... they now assign the value of it to the discount price...

If Omega did have a Daytona or a PEPSI... there would be no premium/wait list/grey dealer maniacal laughter... there would be a daytona in every imaginable colour combination, and a pepsi would be available in a chrono, a day date, an annual calendar, and in 3 sizes...

the problem is that at Rolex, the primary goal is to be selling watches in another 100 years... at Omega, the primary Goal is to show Swatch group that you are posting sales each quarter... so the more watches you make - the more potential sales... once a wach leaves switzerland, it is 'sold'... Hayak and Swatch don't care what the end consumer pays...

the difference between independant family owned manufactures, and members of a big conglomerate...
Well Said.