View Single Post
Old 12 March 2020, 03:20 AM   #1543
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I read today on Apple News, and maybe I am mistaken, please feel free to point out if I am, but from what I understand, the death rate of Corona is 3 ish per 1,000. The death rate of regular influenza is between 1 and 2 per 1,000. Now, this is a serious virus we all need to take steps to protect ourselves and our family etc. But, closing down countries? Seems a little extreme.
Mortality rate of flu is usually much lower than that of COVID, think 0.2 to 0.3% unless in a severe risk group, such as those recommended to get flu shots. Then the mortality rate can approach upwards of 6% in some cases and conditions.

SARS-COV-1 had a mortality rate of 10%, so I'm not so convinced this is as low as portrayed. So far SARS-COV-2 would have an implied mortality rate of 2-3%, which would be 20 to 30 deaths per 1000 infections. In reality there may be less cases reported and unidentified so that the denominator could be much greater than currently implied, which could mean a lower mortality rate.

The real problem is concurrent infections that may result in an additional risk for viral or secondary bacterial pneumonia infections.