View Single Post
Old 2 April 2020, 05:28 AM   #4780
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Seth I can sum it up as, we are collecting data right now, to be continued.

I agree that people need to be accountable for their actions and lifestyle. This crisis will force everyone's hands unfortunately. But now is better than never to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Everyone can exercise on the cheap with just the weight of the human body.

Diet is tougher, as a lot of the poorest among us live in food deserts where there may be 5 fast food options, but limited or no grocery stores. Dense urban areas are an exception. Dietary habits die hard. Not making excuses, but how is it possible to get a fully formed cheeseburger than a bundle of carrots? The ridiculous food subsidies in this country and the poor diets that engenders (and subsequent health problems) boggles the mind. Let alone the fact that many walk no further than from their car to their office and back in a given day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Same can be said about financial stability.

I can't count how many times people have been told to save money for a shtf fund. At least 6 months, in case, well a nasty virus starts attacking us and the economy takes a dive..

How many people did that? To me, that is a factor in stopping this disease as eating too many twinkies..maybe not as much, but still a factor as it is clearly limiting our options in terms of resolutions.
Sadly, it is times like this that highlights the frailties and inadequacies in our social, political, health and financial structures. Again, sadly we have to first face this horrendous challenge so all those other issues will get pushed into the background.

Even now, we struggle trying to confront this virus with a united front. Imagine if this were WWII today and overlay our current responses to that challenge. Part of the population believing that WWII was a hoax or a political stunt. People arguing that the draft was infringing on their constitutional rights. States deciding how they would participate in the war effort. Companies deciding who and how much they would build and sell tanks, fighters and weapons for. Hoarding of steel and other raw materials...

I hope that when this has passed that people will remember all the challenges we went through to survive this. I hope that we take those lessons to heart and make some meaningful changes and not go back to business as usual.