View Single Post
Old 24 June 2010, 07:26 AM   #15
warp_foo

Watch: Breitling SOHC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackxv View Post
I still have to get over the "Eta" in the case but everything else on the watch seem to be superb.

The bracelet is a grade of it's own.

Jack
Folks basing their entire judgement on the fact that a watch has an ETA movement is a bit short-sighted, and are denying themselves a very great many fantastic watches.

I have a number of watches with 7750 movements:

Breitling Superocean Heritage Chrono
Glycine Airman GMT
and
CWC Military Chrono

None of the companies using ETA movements use them without modification and upgrades.

There is an *obvious* and marked difference between the feel of the three when winding, setting the time and date, or using the pushers. As you would expect, the CWC, at 1/20th the cost, is far less refined and 'looser' than the Breitling.

The Glycine is a fantastic watch, at 1/4 the cost, and while better finished than the CWC, it still lacks the solid feeling while operating the crown when compared to the Breitling.

As far as fit and finish are concerned, the Breitling is *easily* the same quality of my GMT II. I'd go as far as saying that, in some respects, the Breitling surpasses the Rolex. Two examples: The bracelet is much more robust, and the convex crystal is a nice touch.

Maybe if I were able to afford the truly high end watches (AP, PP) I'd bypass the ETA movements, but for me, I'm perfectly happy with Breitling or Rolex.

m
warp_foo is offline   Reply With Quote