View Single Post
Old 22 June 2019, 05:30 AM   #54
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Panerai is a brand that is actually doing something progressive in watch making I am excited with.
I am very interested in the direction Panerai is going with a industry leading materials and construction like the LAB-iD. I have enough traditionalist brands. The new Panerai exclusive material like BMG-tech and Carbotech is exciting to me and a aggressive/ballsy move in watch making. I like this new aggressive move on the traditional and unique Panerai design. The new thinner P9010 movement has a twin fixed balance bridge now with 31 jewels and a dual barrel mainspring 72 hour power reserve. If you are a movement snob, what’s not to like??? Rolex is still using their old 3135 48hr power reserve movement in the Sub. Ugh.
I love Rolex and the new 3285 movement is fitting to today’s standards but milking the old 3135 movement another year is beyond conservative for even Rolex.

The Panerai Duo snap back case is rubbish but the new high end stuff is where my money will go. Panerai has always had a lot of haters because of their success and devoted followers. It’s become fashionable to pile on Panerai for making a few mistakes in typical fan boy style.
Panerai isn’t going anywhere as the core enthusiast are strong and Panerai is investing and developing the future cutting edge watch making materials.
The quick flippers have moved on to pick at Rolex bones and thats just great for us Paneristis.
I just hope Jean-Marc Pontroué doesn't do to Panerai what he did to Roger Dubois. He's already snuck in the fluorescent blue seconds hand which I didn't like initially, but have grown to appreciate. The problem with being trendy, is what is fashionable today isn't tomorrow. As Oscar wild said, "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.”

I can't help but think Panerai is on the verge of becoming a fashion brand. I hope I'm wrong.

Great pic (and watch) by the way
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote