View Single Post
Old 3 April 2020, 02:18 PM   #4932
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
So I accept your whole argument. The counter is that the logistics of the gov't buying the masks and distrbuting them to thousands of hospitals are not easy. The military is good at logistics, but there's deep reluctance to rely too heavily on the military, because it'd leave us vulnerable to attack. The threats are real, and the enemies will strike when we seem weakest.

The straightforward answer is to nationalize 3M right now. Pay the shareholders a fair price and let them move on. I have no problem with that. I tried to push that point and couldn't get a straight answer on it. My personal opinion is that nationalization of any private business would lead to serious capital flight. We have very weak capital controls, because people generally want to keep their wealth in the USA. But that could backfire badly.
I do agree with the logistical challenges you mention being a real hurdle..

I also agree with nationalizing the business, which would be the ultimate option...I went with retail pressure as I have seen HD play the “do what we tell you to or else” card personally and it gets results in very short order.

But as you stated, what happens next....maybe the retailers distribute the masks?

Idk...interesting discussion though...