View Single Post
Old 14 January 2021, 09:04 AM   #114
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Yes, I read that too in another thread. It would come down to getting to see both in person, I tried on both older hesalite and sapphire today, and I like them even better in person than in pics (no surprise). It felt much more compact (and slim) on my wrist than what I perceive in photos. I was wearing my 1st gen Planet Ocean which I assume was a similar case, if not the same, but yet the Speedy felt more "one" with the wrist.

I understand the new models are even thinner, so that's only good. In photos, I seem to prefer the step dial, but I have to say in person I really like the flat dial too.

I'll wait to see the new one in person before deciding, but I might not have the opportunity to compare it to the older versions if they are gone. For the old one I would only be interested in the Hesalite, the new one, likely as well, but I'm more open to the Sapphire on the new version than i am the on older version.

One thing is I do not really like the older bracelet, and especially the bulky clasp. Even my Planet Ocean has a slimmer clasp (18mm) that is flush with the tapered bracelet. I know there is no micro adjust, but I still maintain that this PO bracelet is better than Rolex Oyster due to how slim and seamless the clasp is to the bracelet.
Fair assessment. I waited to buy my speedmaster until I saw the new release from Omega and in photos here.

I agree with you re: the dial. The photos of the stepped dial look nice, but at the same time almost looks a bit more "busy." I love the simplicity and clarity of the discontinued version.

I can also understand the bracelet aspect. I do quite like the bracelet of the discontinued one, stylistically perhaps more so than the new version (and I'm not crazy about the new version's clasp). I don't mind the chunkiness. However, I'm contemplating buying the Apollo 11 bracelet/clasp combo which I think looks great and very classic. Uncle Seiko is releasing a 1450 replica as well which looks impressive.

Most important for me was that I don't really care about the new movement. In fact, I like how the old one was basically unchanged since 1968 and was flight-qualified by NASA themselves, rather than Omega doing those tests. And the old one has some flight time logged in space.

Happy moonwatch hunting! There's no wrong choice
logo is offline   Reply With Quote