View Single Post
Old 3 April 2011, 01:33 AM   #124
philr_1@hotmail.com

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Where to have my watch service and have it look nearly new.

I bought an Explorer II in 1987. It is a “cream/rail” dial and I’m considering sending it to Rolex in Dallas to have it cleaned with strict instructions to refurbish replacing the bezel and crystal, leaving the original dial and hands.

I've worn the watch since I purchased, therefore the crystal has some chips around the edges, the bezel and case are scratched from wear and the black markings have been gone for years.
[

Overtime even one of the hinges on the clasp wore through and I had that piece of the hinge replaced.

I was in New York recently, window shopping on 47th when I was stopped and informed that I was wearing an extremely desirable watch. I thought the guy was nuts, but when I got back to Kansas City I googled the watch and discovered that it is somewhat of an anomaly.

Presently it runs fast and I have not been able to find anyone local to clean and adjust the watch to the accuracy that it once had.

I read that others have sent their watch to Rolex for service and have had them returned completely refurbished replacing only the pieces that Rolex still had available from the date of original manufacturing, respecting the owners desire to not replace the face and dials.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=43452

If possible, I would like to have it brought back so the appearance is close to new like the example below from the link above.

I have no intentions of ever selling the watch, however I do know from other items I own, especially firearms and optical devices, that changing their patina have significant impact upon their rarity.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Phil
philr_1@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote