View Single Post
Old 11 October 2019, 01:11 AM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone so far for all the guidance, especially the recommendations by the tiered budget!

Style wise, I think my tastes have changed so much over the years. 10 years ago when Patek was still out of reach, I remember thinking the 5070 would be my ultimate grail, and a 5980 seemed ugly. Fast foward to today, I tried on a 5070 again and felt the design hasn't aged very well for some reason in person, and looking at my friend's 5980, thought...not too bad after all. Of course I don't know how much hype has distorted by tastes here.

I love all chronographs generally, hence the speedy and daytona's left and right in the collection.

I would also confess, I think it was a prior bearxj86's post talking about regretting adding endless Rolex's instead of Pateks swayed my thinking quite a bit, especially since it's between a Platona or a Patek right now (budget wise this means up to the Platona range as well). In the back of my mind, I'm also seriously debating if to just bank the money and way overpay on the secondary market for the newly announced ceramic AP open work perpetual calendar when it finally arrives.

Anyways, found an AD that had the 5524G. Thank you Ninja and RussW for that recommendation. Interesting, but still mulling over. Trying to find a 5170P to try on to see how it feels compared to the 5070. Haven't seen a 5905 yet in person so added that to the list. Will keep everyone posted, thank you (and open to any addition suggestions that might not be on the radar yet).
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote