View Single Post
Old 18 May 2018, 08:43 PM   #45
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtinuk View Post
Waiting and uncertainty of wait certainly has a price.

And, strictly speaking, there are plenty of examples of zero wait or restrictions on availability. Where the initial list price ends up being far from the market price. Obviously the very nature of market prices is that they are dynamic.

In addition, most would probably agree that some of the valuable watches were very unpopular when they were easily available at dealer showrooms (early Daytona for example). In fact so unpopular that the manufacturer could not sell many units which constrained the future supply.

The 5711 is an example. They were relatively easy to get in 2015. Dont ask me how I know ;-)

The McLaren P1 was also easy to get at MSRP during the pre order phase. Etc etc etc....
Understood, nevertheless my point of distinction between all the cars listed and the 5711 is that anyone can still order and get a 5711 at MSRP (at the rate prevailing on the day they take delivery) if they are prepared to wait. So to answer the OP's question, no to me it makes no sense to pay over MSRP for a piece you can purchase new. The wait is part of the ownership experience. Clearly many don't value anything but actual ownership and to them the market price of ownership might well make sense - you only have to read the Rolex thread about AD's to see how many no longer value the AD relationship (which is very sad). Anything no longer produced is a totally different scenario and clearly you HAVE to pay market price - which is the case with all the cars you list.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote