View Single Post
Old 10 June 2018, 05:30 AM   #186
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyo View Post
Awesome to hear !

Tudor's ETA comes as a Top grade with a modified balance. KIF shock absorbers and a Triovis regulator instead of the regular ETA.

Top grade means the balance has a higher grade hairspring, higher grade pallet fork and is regulated to within COSC specs without being COSC certified. Also it is absolutely gorgeous to look at since the movement is ully perlage decorated.

Rolex has been using the KIF system for quite some time. Also other brands such as Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, JLC etc have used it. The main difference is that the Incabloc has two contact points on the jewel bearing, whereas KIF has three. What this means is a better equipped to survive harder impacts. The three contact points are also evenly spread so it technically self aligns itself !!! Pretty dang cool.! And by the way, so you don't feel left out because she does not have a "Rolex" movement, the great caliber 3135 has two KIF applications. ! :-)

And a picture... Of course !

Cheers.

G.
Thanks!

I was aware of the Tudor changes to the ETA, and I find it a little funny that, despite missing the 3 hallmarks of a Rolex movement (free sprung balance, overcoil and full balance bridge,) this Tudor ETA is running better than anything else I've owned from Rolex or any other company.

I don't normally care too much about accuracy, but, since the watchmaker nailed it at 0.0, I'm having a little fun testing it out with a watch app. I've been wearing it 24/7, and it's currently running at +.2 seconds per day, which is outrageously good. I've never had another mechanical that close to zero. We'll see if it holds.

p.s. I recently learned that the 2nd KIF unit over the 3135's escape wheel is actually called a KIF Duofix, and it isn't really a shock absorber. It's just a more convenient way of holding the jewel in place vs. little screws.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote