View Single Post
Old 30 July 2017, 11:41 PM   #96
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
So my RG 44,which is 3 1/2 months old broke today. Obviously I’m sending it in but figured i would see if anyone has any thoughts on what happened.

The watch is fully wound and works fine until i use the chrono. The chrono works until the 30 minute mark (specifically about 10 seconds short of 30 minutes) and it stops. It also completely stops the rest of the watch as well. I reset the chrono and the watch is still frozen. I unscrew the crown and pull it out until i can engage the time setting and then reset the watch to the correct time, screw the crown back in and the watch starts again and works fine. It does NOT start working on its own though, but only after i pull the crown out, and reset the time. No winding required though. This pattern has repeated itself 3 times in a row, and the results are exactly the same.

My understanding is the chronograph module is on top of the regular calibre 3120. If they are basically separate pieces then why does a malfunctioning chronograph affect the rest of the watch as well? I would assume once the chronograph is engaged, unless it is a power reserve issue (which it does not appear to be), and it stops, the timekeeping of the rest of the watch should be unaffected.

Note, this is NOT an AP bashing/reliability post as these types of things are bound happen to mechanical watches. I have four AP's and never have had a single issue before. I have not lost confidence either, i am curious though if anyone else has had this issue or knows what might have happened? I hardly ever use the chronograph function, probably used it less than 10 times in total since i got the watch.

Thoughts?

I had almost the same problem with my 42 grey theme last year. Once the chrono started, it only lasted a few mins before it stopped together with the second hand. Another issue was power reserve only lasted for a while even when fully wounded. Sent it back to Liat Tower in Singapore and got it back within a month. According to them, it was oiling issue.

However I do suspect it was due to my watch winder. Some members told me that AP doesn't really work well with winders. Since then, I never put any of my AP into a winders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote