View Single Post
Old 24 August 2019, 11:22 PM   #21
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfannn View Post
Hello everyone, newbie here.

So I used to wear an Apple Watch until my father gifted me his 2009 Submariner 16610 last year.
At the time, he knew that I really liked the explorer 214270 and said that if I liked it that much, to sell the Sub.

I have been wearing the Sub since, but can't get the Explorer I out of my mind and find myself constantly looking at pics and prices online.

Putting aside any sentiments, if you had a choice between a Submariner 16610 or an Explorer 214270 as your only watch, which would you choose? and why?

Also, when he first gave me Sub, I checked the market value and for a similar model, they were going for about £6500.
I checked today on Watchfinder and they have a 2009 model for £8650, has prices really gone up by that much for the older reference Submariners?

Mine is a 2009 piece with the engraved rehaut and serviced in 2017.

So you have to figure out if this is just new watch itch or you really like the exp more? For me it comes down to function. I need a date and the ability to measure elapsed time as part of my job, everyday. I wear my watches as tools not as jewelry so function is key.

If you don’t have a need for the functions of the 16610, and really prefer the style of the exp, than go for the exp.

I can’t speak for value, but the 16610 will in my opinion go up. Why, because it’s simply more balanced than the maxi case, more restrained and less flashy than the ceramic bezel, and sorry as adjustable as the new version and more versatile. The only updates to the ceramic sub was that they wanted to make it more noticeable to others, something that many that blow 9 grand on a watch value. This as well as the fact that the new ones are hard to source, has lifted the tides of the 5 digit references. The 16610 was the line in the sand when Rolex switched from function over form to the other way around.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote