View Single Post
Old 30 March 2024, 07:46 PM   #12
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Lengthy post OP, but it’ll give you a decent overview of my journey which it’s fair to say has been long and which hopefully hasn’t finished yet!

My first mechanical watch, a Nomos Tangomat was purchased in around 2012, followed by an IWC Pilot Chrono a year or so later and both from a WOS AD in Manchester (north England).

My first Rolex came in 2015, a SubC (ND) followed by a handful of others (BLNR, SD4K, DJ, Explorer 1 and YM 37 OF) all from a different WOS AD except for the SD4K which was from the grey market and which eventually lead to me obtaining a SS Daytona (from the AD) in early 2023. I still wear and enjoy my Nomos and Daytona and don’t see these ever leaving my small collection.

My awareness and interest in AP, started back around 2017/18, whilst spending time in Hong Kong on family holidays, something we’ve done many times since my wife is from HK. I recall seeing the funky coloured Divers and naively wanting/asking for a blue dial 15450 that ultimately came to nothing. I was then and still now flip flop between the 37 mm V’s 41 mm RO and have always admired the silver/white dial when seen in person.

Fast forward to early 2022 and I reached out to AP London, given that during COVID our trips to HK got curtailed. I still wanted a blue RO, either the 15550 or the larger 15510 and I settled on the larger 41 size. As it was made clear a Blue RO was highly unlikely, I registered my interest in the white/silver dial 15510. Over the past 2 years, I must have made 3 subsequent trips to AP House London, most recently trying on the grey offshore diver back in Sept 2023, which I decided to add to my wish list.

Impatience got the better of me and with the used market softening, I managed to grab a nearly new diver from the first owner at the end of Nov 2023 and I’m absolutely loving it, however it has needed to go in for some warranty attention as the time keeping fell off a cliff (loosing 5 mins plus per day!). I’m not letting this dampen my enjoyment and am keen to receive it back, likely end of April/May time.

I guess maybe I’m not the sort of customer that AP wants (?) and tbh I’ve stopped chasing things along with London, so doubt I’ll be getting a call anytime soon.

For what it’s worth, I’ve enjoyed the journey and the watches and boutique visits I’ve experienced along the way.

Niki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote