View Single Post
Old 29 May 2019, 09:52 PM   #27
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I'll qualify my remarks by saying I own three Panerai. They are all regular production, base models (more or less). Panerai screwed up badly many years ago and from what I have seen recently, they haven't learned their lesson. They have continually doubled down on the Submersible line with new materials, dials, and now experiences that have completely diluted the brand. Browse through the website. There is a smattering of base models but most lack the DNA of what people really want in a Panerai: gold hands, sandwich dials, reliable hand wound movements, etc. Then you have a bunch of overpriced complications that do not sell well. At the price point of some of the chronographs and other flyback models, you can afford brand icons from AP, Rolex, JLC. Instead of Panerai promoting what people like about their brand (large, basic models in steel), they over-innovate. There is nothing wrong with Carbotech, BMG, or other new complications, but they need to fortify their regular production Luminor and Radiomir models.

There should be a basic line up of Luminors and Radiomirs that have minimal complications, 44-47mm diameters, quality dials/hands/screw on case backs, etc. I think there's something wrong where we can't get a time only (or with seconds hand) Radiomir 1940 in 47mm with a black dial, hand wound movement, sandwich dial, in steel. There was a special release for Russian Paneristi and I think there's one with a Minerva movement from years ago. Everything now has "8 Days" on the dial, is automatic, or has a complication people don't want. Look at the models people adore: 372, 422, even the older 000, 005, 111, and 112. That should be the refined focus of the brand.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote